Honda Bay Tour DIY Travel Guide – Puerto Princesa, Palawan
Aside from sailing through the marvelous recesses of the world-renowned Underground River, another best thing to do in Puerto Princesa, Palawan is to wallow in its beautiful islands and rich marine life. Go and experience the amazing wonders of Honda Bay Tour.
If your idea of island hopping is swimming with the school of fish, seeing the amazing colorful corals, and basking under the sun while lying down on the vast white sand of the beach, then this is the activity you ought to consider doing.
Honda Bay frames the coastline of the Puerto Princesa. It boasts several islands which are excellent for snorkeling and beach bumming. Some of the islands that comprise Honda Bay are provided below:
Entrance Fee: Php50
This is the most famous attraction among islands where people can swim, snorkel, and enjoy different water activities such as kayaking and banana boat riding. This island is a little small but it takes pride on its powdery white sands. There are cottages for rent and some stores where you can buy food and drinks. There are also cordoned areas for snorkeling.
Entrance Fee: Free
This island is characterized by the long sandbar connected to the main beach. Sari-sari stores and cottages are also available here. Some stalls sell fresh seafood; you can cook if you have the means to do so or you can also ask them to cook for you. There is a part of Snake Island where beachgoers can find a little bit of privacy – at the farther end of the sandbar where there are no cottages. There is also a good spot for snorkeling.
Entrance Fee: Php50 (only to those who will snorkel in the area)
Pambato Reef is not actually an island but a floating, turtle-shaped cottage. It is a marine sanctuary that offers a beautiful view of underwater lives. Here, you will see beautiful corals and colorful species of fish. This part of Honda Bay is purely for snorkeling and fish feeding only.
Entrance Fee: Php50
The attraction of this island is the starfishes by the seashore. Other than that, nothing more.
LuLi island got its name from the phrase “lulubog-lilitaw” (sinks-rises). We didn’t have the chance to visit this island as it was under the water during our Puerto Princesa trip.
How to Get to Honda Bay Jump-Off Site
If you take advantage of Honda Bay tour that is being offered by different travel agencies, you do not have to worry as they will take care of everything from picking you up in your hotel to bringing you back. However, if you prefer DIY tour/s, below are the steps on how to go through with the Honda Bay Tour:
1. Charter a tricycle to Sta. Lourdes port or Honda Bay Wharf. This will roughly be an hour ride from the city. It costs approximately P500 – P700 for a round trip. There are some jeepneys and multicabs en route Sta. Lourdes wharf; fare is Php25. The problem with this is the transportation back to the city after the island hopping because you will have to walk for more than 1 kilometer back to the main highway and in order to catch a ride back to the city. Transportation back is very rare.
2. Getting to the port is the most challenging part especially during peak season as most boats are already taken by tour organizers. But if you want to try your luck go ahead and do so. Small boats cost P1, 300 and big costs P1, 500 for the whole day good for 6 people. If your group is more than 6, there is an additional fee of Php220 each.
Projected Expenses for Honda Bay Island Hopping Tour
Travel agencies usually offer Honda Bay Island Hopping Tour for Php1,500 per person inclusive of the following:
• van transportation from hotel and back
• boat ride
• service of a licensed tour guide
• buffet lunch
• entrance fees to three islands (usually Pandan, Starfish, and Pambato Reef)
• picnic table/cottage rentals
Now if you want to DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Honda Bay Island Hopping Tour, provided below are the projected expenses:
|Tricycle Rental (from Puerto Princesa City to Sta. Lourdes port)||Php500|
|Boat Rental for the whole day||Php1,500 (good for 6)|
|Entrance Fee||Php50 x number of islands|
|*Grand Total will depend on your number and preferences||= please do the math.|
Travel Tips/Activities for Honda Bay Tour
- Make sure to book your accommodation within the city proper if you will take advantage of Underground River tour from a travel agency as they charge additional (from Php250 to Php2,500) for those whose hotels are outside the city.
- DIY is good for a group with at least 6 members. It is indeed a more affordable option and you will have more control over your time.
- We personally suggest that you take advantage of organized tour services to stay away from hassles and misfortunes especially if you are travelling in a small group.
- Buy food and drinks at the city proper to save money because the prices of commodities in the islands are 30% higher. Also, consider bringing bread for snorkeling, you will form your own legion of fishes when you do so.
- Bring your own snorkel set; rental costs Php100. If you are renting, make sure that the snorkel set fits you well or your investment will be futile. Renting aqua shoes is not necessary, just bring your slip-on.
- If you want to take advantage of the Underground River tour package, you may get in touch with our partner travel agency, Sole Adventours.
- For more virtual and interactive live updates, you can check our INSTAGRAM PAGE or follow us on TWITTER.
- Be part of Love. Eat. Wander. Facebook Community Page for more updates and travel tips or visit our YouTube Channel for videos.
Book your Palawan Honda Bay Island Hopping Tour below:
Example Itinerary for Honda Bay Tour
7:00 AM – ETD from your inn/hotel. Tell the driver to take you to Sta. Lourdes wharf.
8:00 AM – Go to Tourist Information Office and rent a boat for your Honda Bay Tour.
9:00 AM – Pambato Reef
10:30 AM – Luli Island
11:00 PM – Pandan Island
12:00 NN – Snake Island / Prepare Lunch
02:00 PM – Starfish Island
03:00 PM – Back to Sta. Lourdes wharf /wash up
04:00 – Back to Puerto Princesa City / Hotel
*Provided IT is not absolute. Always seek for the boatman’s advice on which island must go first as they know the flow of current.
“We are like islands in the sea, separate on the surface but connected in the deep.” ― William James
Thank you for dropping by!
Should you want to add/dispute something in this article, please leave a comment below. We would love to hear from you!
[…] can be the “schedule filler” during your Palawan trip. Compared to Underground River Tour and Honda Bay Tour that require one whole day, Puerto Princesa City Tour can be done in a half day. If you have an […]
[…] within Honda Bay, northeast of Palawan’s Puerto Princesa. It is a charming alternative for Honda Bay and/or Underground River […]