Whale Shark Watching Cebu DIY Travel Guide
Whale shark watching in Oslob is one of the most prominent tours in the province of Cebu. It offers a once-in-a-lifetime experience to swim with the gentle giants of the sea.
This travel guide will provide you with all the necessary information you need to know about whale shark watching in Oslob, Cebu.
HOW TO GET TO OSLOB FROM CEBU CITY
- Ride a taxi or a jeepney from your hotel to South Bus Terminal situated a few meters away from Elizabeth Mall.
- Take a bus from South Bus Terminal bound for Oslob and tell the conductor to drop you in whale shark watching site.
Transportation Costs and Schedules
- Earliest bus leaves at 2AM and there is a trip leaving every 30 minutes afterward. The last trip bound for Oslob leaves at 9PM.
- The fare costs ₱180-P200.
- Travel time: 4 hours
If you plan to just do a day tour to Oslob, we suggest that you leave Cebu City at 2AM.
OSLOB WHALE SHARK WATCHING
Important things to know:
- Whaleshark visibility is best between 7AM to 9AM. Also, if you can do this tour on a weekday, then that’s better. The weekend crowd is unbelievable.
- Whaleshark interaction is held only until 12:30PM each day.
OSLOB WHALE SHARK WATCHING PRICE
If you want to DIY whale shark watching in Oslob, take note of the following rates.
|₱500 each for local tourists|
|₱500 each for local tourists|
|₱1000 each for foreign tourists|
|₱300 each for those who will just stay in the boat and watch the whale shark.|
|Note: Each batch has 30 minutes to watch or swim with the whale sharks. Children aged 0-7 are not allowed to swim or do snorkeling with whale sharks. They can only watch from the boat.|
Including the bus fare (₱180-P200 per way) from Cebu to Oslob and back, you can set aside at least a budget of ₱1,000 to do the whale shark watching in a day from Cebu City. There are travel agencies like our partner Sole Adventours that offer affordable whale shark watching in Oslob and other Cebu tour packages. You can also book your tour below:
OTHER THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW
- The tour looks more like a zoo than an authentic nature exhibition. The place is small and crowded. If you really want a better and more authentic whale shark encounter in the wild, it’s best to go to Donsol in the province of Sorsogon. Donsol is known as the Whale Shark Capital of the Philippines.
- When the whale watching site is full of tourists, expect the water to be itchy and murky due to the food they dump in order to attract the giant creatures.
- Please avoid using sunscreens as there are chemicals in them that could pose danger to the whale sharks.
- DO NOT TOUCH THE WHALE SHARKS as touching them may give the animals wounds or ailments.
WHERE TO STAY IN OSLOB
There are a lot of hotels and affordable accommodation within the whale shark watching site. We listed three options below:
☞ Book/check other hotels and resorts in Oslob.
SIDE TRIP – TUMALOG FALLS
You will be done watching/swimming with the whale shark in Oslob, Cebu by lunchtime so if you still have enough energy, we suggest that you head to Tumalog Falls which is just around 15 minutes away from the whale shark watching site. You can ride a habal-habal to go there for ₱100 per person per way. If you know how to drive a motorcycle, we suggest renting your own as it will only cost ₱200- ₱300 per day.
Once you reach the Tumalog falls car park, you have to descend a steep concrete road leading to the waterfalls. It takes around 10 minutes to walk down. We suggest to simply ride a habal-habal or motorcycle which costs ₱50 roundtrip.
Tumalog Falls entrance fee: ₱20
Be part of Love Eat Wander Facebook community and be connected with thousands of like-minded individuals. Share your travel stories with through Tweets and Instagram photos. Please follow @loveeatwander.
Thank you for dropping by!
Should you want to add/dispute something in this article, please leave a comment below. We would love to hear from you!